Welcome to Kath’s Blog . . . a look at the daily struggles and triumphs of trying to live life to its fullest despite the very sneaky and subtle toll of this disease. If you yourself live with diabetes–or you are someone who cares about and/or treats a person living with diabetes–join me in this journey to understand issues through a lens of inspiration. Live well, be well. And be happy.
Here’s a little bit of info about me and some of the issues I’ve tackled:
- Type I diabetes: 46 years (as of April 2011)
- Real-time experience tackling diabetes issues: managing sustainable blood sugar levels; dia-bulimia (earlier years); adopting & raising a family; using an insulin pump after 3 years of taking 6+ insulin shots/day; mentoring families & parents; staying married (to an understanding partner who has had to deal with my blood sugar-driven emotional ups & downs!); fitting in exercise to stay healthy; deciding how to confide about my diabetes to a few trusted colleagues & friends; dealing with the stresses of working FT and graduate school . . .
- Work Experience: K-adult classroom teacher; school district resource teacher & professional development trainer for parents, teachers, principals/administrators, and educational assistants; curriculum writer & program developer (regular ed, special ed, gifted ed); adult ed ceramics instructor; local/regional/national presenter
- Volunteer Experience: for the American Diabetes Association (ADA; developing and running programs/community groups, retreats, camps, fundraising); Southwest Canine Corps of Volunteers (pet therapy visits); SouthWest Writers
- Passions & Hobbies (the ice cream of life!): photography, pottery-ceramics, dog agility training & all things DOG, gardening, traveling, writing (working on a memoir about growing up with diabetes & poetry), snowshoeing, x-c skiing, travel
- Weaknesses (smile!): ice cream, dark chocolate, dogs, music, meeting giving and kind people, kids!
Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible
and achieves the impossible.
Visit www.sweetlifestories.com to share your stories and inspirations!
Isn’t life sweet?